Anston and Woodsetts lies in the south east of Rother Valley. The ward contains the largely rural villages of North Anston, South Anston and Woodsetts. North and South Anston form part of a larger urban area with Dinnington.
Rotherham Borough Councillors Local Parish Councils
Councillor Jo Burton Anston Parish Council
Councillor Clive Jepson Woodsetts Parish Council
Councillor Robert Taylor
- Anston was mentioned in the 1086 Domesday Book, its name deriving from 'an stan', meaning 'a stone'. The growth of the village was largely due to the quarrying of the 'Anstone' magnesian limestone and farming that took place in the area.
- The village is home to Anston Stones Wood, a site of special scientific interest. The wood is thought to have been part of a medieval smuggling route. Evidence of prehistoric settlement was found in the wood in 1967 when excavations were made in Dead Man’s Cave.
- St. James church in South Anston is thought to date back to the 12th Century.
- Stone quarried in Anston was used to rebuild the Houses of Parliament in 1840. The stone was taken to the Chesterfield Canal at Kiveton Park and loaded onto barges for transport to London via the River Trent. In 1973 a statue in Anston stone, removed from the Palace of Westminster during restoration work, was returned to the village. It can now be found in South Anston's Methodist Church.
- Originally a farming community, the name Woodsetts appears in records dating back to the medieval and tudor periods.
- The Ryder Cup was held at the nearby Lindrick golf course in 1957 and was the scene of Great Britain & Ireland's last victory in the biennial contest.