Dinnington lies in the east of Rother Valley. Of the five parishes that make up the ward, Dinnington has by far the largest population. The four rural parishes, which cover most of the area, are Laughton-en-le-Morthen, Firbeck, Gildingwells and Letwell.
Rotherham Borough Councillors Local Parish and Town Councils
Councillor Ian Finnie Dinnington St John's Town Council
Councillor Jeanette Mallinder Firbeck Parish Council
Councillor Simon Tweed Gildingwells Parish Meeting
Laughton-en-le-Morthen Parish Council
Letwell Parish Council
- Dinnington was founded during the Saxon period of settlement in the area and the name reputedly derives from 'Dunnintone' meaning 'Dunna’s farmstead'.
- Dinnington was originally a small farming community until the sinking of the colliery in 1902 after which the population grew rapidly. When the colliery closed in 1992 it had a devastating effect on the community.
- Over recent years widespread regeneration has taken place in the area especially on the old colliery site.
- The name Firbeck derives from "Friebec", meaning a woodland stream.
- Firbeck is not listed in the Domesday Book but does appear in a 12th Century charter now found in the British Museum.
- The Park Hill estate was owned by keen horseman Anthony St Leger, whose name was given to the oldest Classic, the St Leger Stakes, run at Doncaster since 1776. The Park Hill Stakes, named after the estate, are also run at Doncaster during the annual St Leger meeting in September.
- Firbeck Hall was once the home of 19th Century architect Henry Gally Knight, who is thought to have provided information to Sir Walter Scott as his novel Ivanhoe was set in the area.
- The first documentary record of Gildingwells dates back to the 14th Century.
- A well and a spring can be found outside the village and it is thought that this created a settlement and gave the village its name as 'Gildanwell' means 'gushing spring'.
- Mentioned in the 1086 Domesday book, the village's name derives from 'lastone' meaning herb garden while the morthen comes from the Old Norse ‘mor thing’ meaning ‘moorland district with a common assembly’.
- All Saints Church was once the central church of the area due to Laughton's importance in Anglo-Saxon times. The spire is 185 feet high and is visible for miles, on a clear day Lincoln Cathedral can be seen from the battlements.
- The earthworks of a motte and bailey castle can be seen near the church.
- The name Letwell comes from the Middle English 'blocked well'.
- The village was first documented in the 12th Century and as well as its' dovecote has a number of listed Georgian buildings.