You are here: Home
/ Rother Valley
/ Find your area
/ Rother Vale
Rother Vale lies in the west of the Rother Valley. It is a mainly rural ward but most of the population live in the villages of Thurcroft, Treeton, Swallownest and Orgreave. The rural areas of the ward include the small villages of Ulley and Brampton-en-le-Morthen, and the hamlet of Fence.
Rotherham Borough Councillors Local Parish Councils
Councillor Gregory Reynolds Orgreave Parish Council
Councillor Denise Lelliott Thurcroft Parish Council
Councillor Darren Hughes Treeton Parish Council
Ulley Parish Council
Aston-cum-Aughton Parish Council
- Orgreave is mentioned in the Domesday book and its name is thought to derive from “Nortgrave” meaning 'pit from which one was dug'.
- Industrial activity has always taken place in the area, Orgreave Colliery was sunk in 1851 and closed 130 years later. The coking plant closed in 1990.
- Orgreave is best known for being the scene of a confrontation between striking miners and the police during the miners strike in 1984.
- The name Thurcroft is of Norse origin, 'Thurscroft' meaning 'Thori's enclosure'.
- Until the early twentieth century Thurcroft consisted of Thurcroft Hall and three other farms. When Thurcroft Colliery was sunk in 1909 the population grew significantly, especially as coke ovens and a brickworks were also established. The pit closed in 1991.
- Treeton is referred to in the Domesday book as 'Trectone' meaning 'farmstead by the trees'.
- Evidence of Mesolithic and Neolithic settlement has been found in this area. Indeed the village contains three areas of ancient woodland, Treeton Wood, Hail Mary Hill Wood, and Falconer Wood.
- The village underwent a major change with the sinking of Treeton Colliery in 1875. The colliery closed in 1990 and the site has been completely cleared.
- The name comes from “olleie” and is thought to mean 'forest-glade frequented by owls'.
- Mentioned in the Domesday book, the village has remained a small, agricultural settlement, with quarrying the only industry.
- Ulley Country Park incorporates Ulley Reservoir, where during the floods of 2007 there were fears the dam might burst.
Swallownest and Fence
- Swallownest took its name from the Swallow family who had a farm nearby.
- Coal mining was the major industry in this area and was largely responsible for its population growth. Fence Colliery opened in the 19th Century; although mining ceased in 1904, the site later became the National Coal Board area workshops and stores.